If you are a senior trying to find ways to look younger even for a day, you might want to assess your daily habits. While there are several cosmetic procedures available for seniors nowadays, sometimes, all it takes is for you to distress and make it a point to stay stress-free every single day. This should not be too hard if you make yourself – mind and body – your priority.
Ever wonder how some of your colleagues managed to maintain their youthful glow or that they don’t look old at all? Genes may have some play on it but in general, it is how soon they were able to realize how important it is to take care of themselves and “step up” on the way they prioritize their well-being. Take for example my female friend who just turned 70 the other day. She was the envy of every lady in the room just because she doesn’t look anywhere near 70 when she, in fact, didn’t look like that 2 years ago. Three years ago, she lost her husband of 40 years then her daughter had decided to leave her kids with the “lonely granny” so that the “lonely granny” would be able to move on from the lost – which I think at that time was quite absurd. A considerate mother that she was – and still is – she accepted the kids into her home just because she didn’t want her daughter to be offended and she was afraid the kids would feel nobody wants them. So she busied herself caring for the kids when in fact she should be mourning her husband properly. A little over a year after, she had a breakdown which was later diagnosed as severe depression and was required proper mental care. The kids were shipped back to the mom and the nice lady was nursed back to health.
Lucky for her it didn’t take long for her mind and body to recover. Now, she’s in her most active and enjoying the 70’s life. Her secret?
- Get a good night’s sleep – always. You can never begin your day properly if you don’t get a good night’s sleep. Sleep provides the relaxation your body needs and when you don’t sleep at night, chances are, you’ll be napping your way all throughout the day which is quite unproductive.
- Have a nice breakfast. Go for something that is kind to your stomach, like fiber. Oatmeal and eggs are good as they provide the energy that you need but not make your body put on unnecessary weight.
- Exercise. When you exercise, you give your body its daily dose of activity and at the same time, you help your body release toxins.
- Snack on something healthy. Like nuts, or fruits, or veggie sticks. Limit junk food intake if this cannot be avoided.
- Rest when you need to. When you feel tired, your body is just telling you that it needs some rest. When you ignore, it just causes your stress levels to go up. Also, bear in mind that your body is not as vigorous as it once was so treat it with extra care and precaution.
- Take your vitamins and supplements religiously. Some of the nutrients your body naturally produces are diminishing so you should supplement it whenever you can.