loading... Bodybuilding Diet 101

home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


The Best Protein Powders

The Best Protein Powders

What are the best protein powders and why?

With so much choice what one should you choose?

Right, first off we all know that protein is an important part of our diet, if you want to know how much to consume look at the Bodybuilding nutrition page. This part of the website will explain to you what different protein powders are out there and what ones are the best to choose.

Let’s start with the different types of protein powders...
The Best Protein Powders

Protein Powders:

  • Whey Protein
  • Casein Protein
  • Egg Protein
  • Soya Protein
  • Buckwheat Protein
  • Milk Protein
  • Egg Protein
  • Goat Milk Protein

What is Whey Protein .

Whey protein is derived from milk, it is produced during the process of making cheese. It is the clear liquid that is left after the process of coagulation and after the curd is removed. Whey protein comes in many forms including sweet, acid, demineralised and reduced Whey. The reduced and demineralised Whey are found in products other than supplements. Whey protein is a high quality, complete protein which means it has all the essential amino acids. Whey protein is easy to digest and efficiently absorbed into the body. It is often referred to as a "fast" protein for its ability to quickly provide nourishment to muscles in the morning or after a workout.

What is Casein Protein.

Casein protein comes from milk, it makes up 80% of the protein found in milk while the other 20% is Whey protein. This type of protein is the opposite of whey as casein is commonly known as the slow digesting protein. Casein protein can form a gel or clot in the stomach, this is good because it creates a sustained release of amino acids into the body through the blood stream, which is good if you take this of a night before you go to bed.

What is Egg Protein.....

Egg protein is basically what it says, it is the protein found in eggs. Egg protein is considered to be the perfect protein because of its high biological value. Biological value is measured from the amount of protein that is absorbed into the body and how much is lost. Egg protein has a biological value of 100, fish and beef have a biological value of 75. This is why people prefer to eat egg protein as the perfect protein. Egg protein also has a high branched chain amino acid content which is good to help protein synthesis.

What is Soya Protein.....

Soya protein is used as an ingredient in things such as salad dressing and vegetarian food. Soy protein is also good to use if you are a vegetarian or are lactose intolerant. But soy protein does have some disadvantages...it doesn’t mix very well and I personally do not think its the nicest tasting protein powder out there. But you might like it especially if you are a vegetarian or lactose intolerant but from personal experience if you are not a vegetarian then you should stick to whey and casein but everyone is different.

What is Buckwheat Protein....

Buckwheat is not a grain, but a plant and is related to rhubarb. Buckwheat protein is gluten free which makes it good for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain gluten. It also has a biological value of about 90 which is good and there is now some research showing buckwheat as a heart healthy protein and that it can reduce cholesterol absorption by half.

What is Milk Protein...

As you read above milk protein contains both casein and whey protein, they are extracted from milk and used in supplements.

What is Goat Milk Protein....

Goat milk protein is made the same way cows’ milk protein is, and contains whey and casein. 

Whey and Casein protein are the most commonly used protein powders as their different absorption rates makes them more effective. Buckwheat and goats milk protein also have their advantages and I can see them being quite popular in the future for their health benefits, but they are currently not as popular as whey or casein.

What are the best protein powders?
They all have their advantages but personally I would take whey and casein because of whey is known as the fast digesting protein and casein is known as a slow digesting protein. Just remember there are the options of Soya or Buckwheat if for dietary reasons you can’t take Whey or Casein.


Bottom Ad [Post Page]

Contact Us

Contact Form


Email *

Message *