Stretch Just a Little
All stretching really is extending your body the full length it can go. Doing this stretches the muscles and tendons, losing them up and giving them more flexibility. Stretching can actually be done whenever you have a spare minute or two. Touching your toes, do side stretches, or even trying to do the splits is all stretching. How far and for how long you can stretch will vary from person to person. However, the more you stretch the more flexible you will become and the farther you will be able to stretch over time.
Remember too that stretching before working out is always a good idea. Doing this gets your muscles warmed up and ready to go. Stretching before lifting anyways weights also lessons the chances of a sprain or pulled muscle. Many athletes practice stretching before a competition to ensure they do not get injured. This goes the same for anyone else. Giving yourself 10 minutes of stretch time will make all the difference in your workout and how you feel.
Furthermore, there are some definite benefits to stretching than just making you feel better and getting you ready for a more vigorous workout. There is also:
- increasing your range of motion, being to move your body farther and more easily. Less strain and pain to do tasks.
- being able to perform tasks better and with less pain. Going up and down stairs or running even will not be so strenuous because you have a larger range of motion.
- you will be less likely to become injured in areas like joint, tendons, and muscles. Having a wider range of motion means not putting as much stress on your body and being able to do more with less effort.
- less muscle tension because you stretched first.
- amazingly you will also reduce your cholesterol by doing stretching like yoga. You could prevent and even stop diseases like hardening of the arteries and coronary disease.
- one thing for sure is that you will have more energy. This in some ways probably being the biggest advantage to stretching and getting your muscles in to shape. More energy to many things you enjoy and not feel pain afterwards.
Trying to stretch a little everyday will improve your overall health and well being. Making once difficult tasks simpler and easier. Stretching will always make you feel better. There really is no down side to being more flexible and physically fit. So start slow and get the range and movement you have always wanted.