How often should I work my abs out? And how hard should I be training?
If you are a beginner: Train abs 2 – 3 times a week;
Intermediate – advanced: Train abs 4 – 5 times a week;
Another important point is intensity.
The intensity for abs has to be high. You cannot have a conversation with a buddy/read articles in between sets. Work them out in 5 – 10 mins, with minimal rest (20 – 30 seconds) and keep up the intensity.
“I work my abs 3 – 5 times a week with no results”
What am I doing wrong?
- Average Joe
Well it could be a combination of several factors. I’m going to leave diet out of the picture for now and focus on the workout component.
- Intensity: The workout has to be challenging. If the abs workout is like a walk in the park, you might as well not do it.
- Extended rest periods. Do not rest more than 20 – 30 seconds in between exercises. Reduce rest periods as you progress.
- Stale routine: Sticking to the same old abs routine for over 3 – 4 weeks. Your body adapts to the abs routine and requires new exercises.
- Resistance training: If want abs, you have to lift weights 2 – 3 times a week. They burn overall calories and result in fat loss.
- Cardio: If you want abs, you have to do cardio. At least 2 – 3 times a week.
- Not enough rest: Please do not train your abs 6 – 7 times a week. Your body will not have enough time to recuperate and you will hinder your results.